Real Companhia Velha is the oldest and most emblematic wine company in Portugal, having celebrated this year 260 years of existence and uninterrupted activity in the service of Port Wine. History has left us with a record of an incredible story and a glorious past. For the future we hold the desire to maintain the high standard of quality in our wines and the confidence that the rigorous and visionary philosophy of this company will write down even more history.


Since the founding on the 10th of September in 1756 by Royal Charter of D. José I, King of Portugal, the importance of this Ex-Majestic Company was reflected by the valuable services to the community. At some of best Quintas in the Douro, we have been able to preserve and honour the tradition while investing in the future, with a constant modernization and experimentation at our vineyards.



This Renaissance estate has graced Portugal since 1554. Located just south of Lisbon, in the region of Azeitão, Bacalhoa was originally built by the son of a famous Portuguese mariner, Afonso de Albuquerque. Inspired by Italian and Indian design, he commissioned a villa in the 16th-century Italian Renaissance style. Characterized by a tasteful sense of restraint, the balanced design includes extensive parterre gardens, easily viewed and appreciated from the open-air balconies.

Historical accounts have always made reference to vineyards at the Quinta. However, the real history of this great red wine begins in 1974 with the planting of a vineyard that possessed a similar vine selection to that of Bordeaux. The first harvest, launched on the market in 1979, produced one of the most sought after Portuguese wines and helped to reinforce the fame of the already exemplary Quinta da Bacalhôa. This time in the realm of wine!



It is here, amongst rolling plains, shallow valleys, occasional streams, corn fields, vineyards and olive groves, we find Herdade do Esporão.

Hill-top farms and small, whitewashed villages guard the memory of life that goes back to the Prehistoric times of tapirs and dolmens, then Iberians, Romans, Visigoths and Muslims and the many others who once settled here.

The Medieval history of the region began with the Reconquista of Monsaraz and Reguengos in 1232. Since then, wine and olive oil have become an indelible aspect of the region. The geographical boundaries of Herdade do Esporão (originally Defesa do Esporão) were only established in 1267, and have been practically unchanged since then, despite being the setting for bloody battles and heroic deeds over almost nine centuries.



Adega Cartuxa took its name from its proximity to the Mosteiro da Cartuxa (Cartuxa Monastery), erected in the mid-16th century, a name which has endured to the present day. . It was sold at auction as part of a long-term plan instigated after the Liberal Revolution of 1820, whereby Church and Crown properties were nationalised and then sold off to private buyers. The Estate was inherited by his son, Carlos Maria Eugenio de Almeida, who immersed himself in expanding the agricultural production of Casa Agricola Eugenio de Almeida.

The new Cartuxa Winery, situated on the Herdade de Pinheiros estate, can take all the grapes grown in Foundation vineyards and is fitted with three technological innovations that set it apart from the rest. These are: efficient refrigeration capacity; facility to sort the grapes on arrival at the winery and the ability to move musts and wine around by force of gravity.



The land used to belong to Dom Nuno Álvares Pereira, a Portuguese constable and strategist, who lead Dom João (future João 1st of Portugal) and his party to victory in the succession war against Dom João 1st, King of Castile and León, between 1383 and 1385. The land was handed over along with the title of Count of Arraiolos, nowadays belonging to Dom Duarte Pio de Bragança (25th owner), the 24th Duque of Bragança, and heir to the Portuguese Crown.


However, with time, Herdade da Ravasqueira has seen different owners and boundaries. In this story, it’s most important to look at history from 1943 onwards, when it was inherited by the Mello family, who owned a business emporium at the time, created by Alfredo da Silva with Companhia União Fabril.



Quinta do Javali is a small wine property with 18ha dedicated to vines. It sits on the left bank of the Douro river, in the parish of Nagozelo do Douro, a place with vineyard tradition since the beginning of the production of Port wine for export, in the late 17th, early 18th centuries.

The property is comprised of a small quay in the river, which was simultaneously used as a wharf for loading the typical rabelo boats; as well as a small rustic house (cottage), fully rebuilt, which displays an inscription found in the door threshold dating from 1839. The typical and old Douro terrace walls in the property are witness to the history of the vineyard.

The North - East exposure/orientation of the slope of the property, as well as the schistose soil with vertical diaclasites, which allow the vine roots to penetrate to unthinkable depths, with a consequent complexity of benefits for the vine, provide to Quinta do Javali with exceptional qualities for the production of the finest PORT and DOURO DOC wines.


On May 21, 1966, UDACA - União das Adegas Cooperativas do Dão was born.

Currently, UDACA represents, with its Associated Wineries, almost 60% of the production of Dão wines, which, together with the numerous awards and participation in events, reflects UDACA as one of the main voices of Dão and Beira Alta.

UDACA fulfills the mission of promoting and marketing wines from the Dão region in all national and international markets, with internationalization being one of its strategies, with exports exceeding 65% of its products.

UDACA consists of a store, museum, auditorium, laboratory, warehouse (with more than 100 vats capable of holding 6,000,000 liters), 2 bottling lines (each capable of delivering 6,000 bottles / hour) and an underground cellar.

In addition to these features, UDACA is often the stage for various types of social events.

William Hinton Rum- Shop

The cultivation of sugar cane on Madeira island goes back to the beginnings of colonization and it was so important that we can say that its a part of the genetic structure of the Madeira people.


According to history, the king Infante D. Henrique was the responsible for the introduction of the sugar cane in Madeira Island in 1425, 6 years after the Island was discovered. It is said that the first sugar canes sent to Madeira Island were from Sicily.


Not only did it marked the transition of the cultivation of sugar cane from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic and the New World (the Americas) but served effectively and literally as an exporting platform for a set of techniques, technologies and socio-economic development models that have their genesis in Madeira.


Wine Adore Pte Ltd 10 Anson Rd, International Plaza, Singapore 079903

©2019 by Wine Adore